Teacher: Garba Diallo
In this course, you will have the chance to try out your ideas and build your capacity to act in the world. You will discover a global perspective in all that you do. Global activism will be one possibility after this course. Global awareness will be a certainty.
THE COURSE IDEA IN SHORT
Crossing Borders Global Studies is an interdisciplinary course designed for socially minded and globally oriented students from around the world.
- provide a unique learning environment for international students to raise their awareness about the key global forces and structures impacting their lives
- create dialogue space, communication and networking skills for active global citizenship with the competencies to seek understanding, communicate, connect and cooperate with other people.
- focus on key current global issues of our time
- taught in English by a multicultural faculty to a diverse student body
- based on mutually complementing learning and action modules
- Solid expert introduction inputs, active student participation leading to concrete results, e.g. articles, short films, multimedia presentations, public actions, exhibitions, performances, and local or global initiatives
- Providing students with relevant knowledge, skills and tools for personal, academic and professional development to be able to live, study and work in any corner of the world
- With key projects and activities driven by students’ own interests
By the end of the course, you will complete the following 9 modules: Communication and presentation skills. This module gives students basic knowledge and skills to understand the importance of and to practice effective communication and presentation in the age of global interaction and interdependency
The concept of globalization, how it is experienced and understood by different people in different parts of the world. You will learn about how the modern telecommunication and transportation systems are making the movement of people, ideas, services and products easier and faster every day. You will understand how these movements impact on every aspect of our lives, cultures, economies, environment and climate etc.
8 UN Millennium Development Goals which world leaders promised in 2000 to achieve by 2015.
Global Institutions including the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, World Trade Organization and selected examples of the transnational corporations.
The environment/climate module focusing on the impact of human activities on the environment and climate change and how to generate innovative ideas and technologies to live in harmony within the surrounding environment.
2 week Sustainable Living Study Tour around some of the most innovative Eco villages and renewable energy centers in Denmark. The study tour is an application of the climate and environment module.
The Understanding Peace and Conflict module provides students with the knowledge about the peace and conflict concepts, causes, issues, parties and needs to develop relevant tools for conflict analysis toward peace building.
The Media Module provides students with basic understanding of the increasing role of the media in social, cultural, political and economic in the age of globalization. This module also aims at inspiring the student to take use the social media for self and community empowerment.
Project Management module gives the students basic knowledge how to develop and transform their dreams and ideas into concrete project proposals using SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunities and threats) and logical framework analysis.
As a participant, you will:
- Live and study in an international environment.
- Attend lectures and workshops conducted by experts in the field.
- Engage in individual and group projects.
- Participate in a two-week study-tour across Denmark.
- Develop and conduct workshops on the UN MDGs and voluntarism with high school students in Denmark
- Visit relevant Danish NGOs and institutions
- Take parts in campaigns with fellow students and teachers.
OTHER COURSES YOU CAN CHOOSE FROM INCLUDE:
Introduction to Denmark Current International Affairs Middle East Behind the Headlines Event-making Cultural Jamming Photography Dance Sing out loud Outdoor life and much more.
For details: http://krogerup.dk/Other-classes-av...
STUDY-TOUR IN DENMARK
The main aim of the study-tour is to give Crossing Borders students a direct experience of the most sustainable and innovative aspects of Danish society and culture.
The tour will take you to key eco-centres and cultural sites of interests in Jutland and on Funen and Samsoe Islands. As the course focuses on the core, current global-issues of concern, you will experience sustainable living in-action, across various regions of Denmark.
You will visit, stay-at and participate in the everyday activities of these innovative eco-villages and renewable energy centres. The programme will include visits to: Hans Christian Andersen Museum in Odense; the Freeland Ecovillage in Djursland; an NGO Center in Aarhus; the Renewable Energy Island of Samsoe; and more.
TRAVEL PROGRAMME FOR AUTUMN 2013
Days 1-2: We will visit the Ecovillage of Hallingelille, located near the Roskilde Fjord on Zealand. During our stay we will work on the farm, especially helping build eco-friendly houses, feeding and milking cows, digging up potatoes and dumpster diving. We will live and eat in the village. www.hallingelille.dk
Days 3-6: Aero Island. The next stop on the study trip is the island of Aero, located south of Funen. Here, we will visit local sustainability initiatives, solar panels and windmills as well as the farm of Vesteraas. More information on www.aeroe.dk
Days 7-10: Aarhus. We will spend some days in Denmark’s vibrant second biggest city, Aarhus. Here, we will visit the NGO Centre, CISU and Aarhus “Old City” (Den Gamle By). One day we also go to the community of Friland in Djursland to see how they have constructed their own houses out of natural and recycled materials.
Days 10-14: Samso Island. Samso was in 1997 appointed Denmark’s renewable energy island. With the appointment, the goal was to become self-sufficient in renewable energy. On Samso, we will look at these developments; visit the Energy Academy: http://energiakademiet.dk/en/hvad-k..., the Nature School, and cycle around the island. www.visitsamsoe.dk
PRICES AND PROGRAM AUTUMN 2013
- 17 weeks, 18.08. - 14.12. including a 2 week trip around Denmark DKK 24.900,- (1.200 kr. pr. week + 4.500 kr. for travel) (3.340 Euro) or
- 7 weeks, 18.08.-15.10. DKK 10.500,- (1.500 kr. pr. week) (1.410 Euro) or
- 7 weeks, 27.10.-14.12. DKK 10.500,- (1.500 kr. pr. week) (1.410 Euro)
|Weeks 33-40||Crossing Borders study group, free choice in A and B|
|Week 41||Theme week about Denmark|
|Weeks 42-43||A trip around Denmark|
|Weeks 44-50||Crossing Borders study group, free choice in C and D|
- 22 weeks, 5.01. - 7.06. including a 2 week trip around Denmark DKK 35.300,- (1.400 kr. pr. week + 4.500 kr. for the travel) (4.740 Euro)
|Weeks 2-13||Crossing Borders study group, free choice in A and B|
|Week 14||Theme week about Denmark|
|Weeks 15-16||A trip around Denmark|
|Weeks 17-23||Crossing Borders study group, free choice in C and D|
The whole amount for the foreign students must be paid in advance. If you want a single room it is 100,- kr. (14 Euro) extra per week.